Measures can be taken to combat the cold, but the amount of information available can be daunting. The elderly and venerable may need help. Please reach out and offer assistance to them. 

Here’s some information and list of organisations who can offer you help.

Claim the correct benefits:

Many older people do not claim all the benefits they’re entitled to. Make sure that you take up your entitlement, these could include: 

  • Pension Credit. Link to government website
  • Housing Benefit. Link to government website
  • Council Tax Benefit. Link to government website
  • Social Fund payments. Link to HHS website
  • If you live in Northern Ireland, you may be able to claim Rate Relief and Lone Pensioner Allowance to help you pay rates. Link to government website 
  • State Pension (depends on National Insurance contributions and age). Link to government website
  • Attendance Allowance (for people aged 65 and over). Link to government website
  • Disability Living Allowance (for people under 65) are for people with disability and care needs. Link to government website
  • (Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will start to replace Disability Living Allowance from April 2013). Link to government website
  • Winter Fuel Payment. Link to government website. Link to government website
  • Cold weather payment. Link to government website. Link to government website

  • Two useful guides to download:

    Useful organisations

    Age UK

    We provide advice and information for people in later life through our Age UK Advice line‚ publications and online.
    Age UK Advice: 0800 169 65 65  Lines are open seven days a week from 8am to 7pm.

    Call Age UK Advice to find out whether there is a local Age UK near you, and to order free copies of our information guides and factsheets.

    In Wales, contact Age Cymru: 0800 169 65 65
    In Northern Ireland, contact Age NI: 0808 808 7575
    In Scotland, contact Age Scotland: 0845 125 9732

    Charis Grants

    Provides grants to clear utility debts owed to certain energy providers.

    Tel: 01733 421 060

    Citizens Advice Consumer Service

    A consumer advice and complaints service.

    Tel: 0845 404 0506  (0845 404 0505 for a Welsh-speaking adviser)


    Includes advice on taking care of yourself in winter.

    Energy Saving Trust

    Provides free advice on saving energy. 

    Tel: 0300 123 1234 (in Scotland, call 0800 512 012)

    Met Office

    Check your local weather forecast and get advice on managing in severe weather conditions. 
    Tel: 01392 885680
    Get ready for winter

    NHS Choices

    Provides information about NHS services, healthy living and health conditions.
    In Wales, visit
    In Scotland, visit  or call NHS Inform on 0800 22 44 88

    NHS Direct

    NHS 24-hour helpline for advice if you feel unwell.
    Call 0845 4647 if you live in England or Wales.
    Call 08454 24 24 24 if you live in Scotland (NHS 24).

    NHS Stop Smoking Services

    NHS Smokefree Tel: 0800 022 4332

    In Wales, contact Stop Smoking Wales to find your local group and for general advice on quitting. Tel: 0800 085 2219  
    In Scotland, call Smokeline Tel: 0800 84 84 84

    Ready Scotland

    Provides useful tips on getting ready for winter.

    Warm Front

    Provides grants for insulation and heating improvements to people in England.

    Tel: 0800 316 2805

    Similar schemes run across the UK:
    If you live in Wales, contact Nest Tel: 0800 512 012 (free from a landline) or 0300 456 2655 (free from a mobile phone)

    If you live in Scotland, contact the Energy Assistance Package
    Tel: 0800 512 012

    Winter Fuel Payment helpline

    Tel: 0845 9 15 15 15 

    Boiler Hut

    Tel: 029 2009 9898

    We are an organisation working under the ECO scheme to provide FREE energy efficient boiler replacements to customers who qualify under the 'Affordable Warmth Objective'.